Welcome to Safer Internet Day 2021
Safer Internet Day (SID) is an international education and awareness-raising effort celebrated in over 140 countries to promote safe and more responsible use of online technology and mobile phones, especially amongst youngsters. Globally, it is coordinated by the joint Insafe/INHOPE network, with the support of the European Commission, and national Safer Internet Centres across Europe.
To celebrate this day, the Computer Emergency Response Team of Mauritius, a division of the National Computer Board (NCB) is planning to celebrate the Safer Internet Day on 9th February 2021 by organizing the following activities:
1. A message for youngsters by the Honourable Deepak Balgobin, Minister of Information Technology, Communication & Innovation, which will be broadcasted on the national television and radio on Tuesday, 9th February 2021
2. A dedicated page on SID 2021 will be created on the CERT-MU website to disseminate guidelines and videos on Internet Dangers and this will be shared with public and private secondary schools’ students.
3. A two hours’ awareness session will be organized by CERT-MU on Internet Safety in Le Bocage International School, Mount Ory, Moka for students of Form 1, 2, & 3. Two presentations will be conducted by high profile speakers in the session.
4. Awareness sessions on Internet Safety will be carried out for public and private Secondary School students in Mauritius throughout the year. These sessions will highlight issues like sexting, sextortion, cyber bullying, online gaming, online predators, threat trends, new technologies and identity theft etc.
5. Parents, Grandparents and House Wives need to be aware of the dangers on the Internet and how to protect their kids online. Sensitization campaigns on the Safe Use of the Internet for Senior Citizens and House Wives will be organised through cyber caravans and Community Welfare Centres throughout the year.
What we are doing to create a better internet:
Sensitization campaigns on internet safety will be organised as from 9th February 2021 for students from primary, secondary and tertiary levels throughout the year. Radio programmes are also being done for creating mass awareness on Internet Safety for the whole population of Mauritius.