Welcome to Safer Internet Day 2017
Safer Internet Day (SID) is an international education and awareness-raising effort spanning more than 100 countries around the globe to promote safer and more responsible use of online technology and mobile phones, especially amongst children and young people across the world.
Mauritius is among one of the very first countries where government has taken keen interest to protect children and youngsters on the Internet. In this context, a Child Online Safety Action Plan was developed by the National Computer Board (NCB) and endorsed by the cabinet in 2009. Following the approval of the action plan, number of activities has been started on Child Online Safety since 2009 including organisation of the Safer Internet Day.
This year is the 7th edition of Safer Internet Day which will be celebrated in Mauritius. On this occasion, CERT-MU, a division of the National Computer Board is organising several activities. The activities are as follows:
· A special programme will be broadcasted on the 7th February 2017 on MBC TV focussing on Internet Safety which includes cyberbullying, cyber stalking, online predators, unlawful use of social media, sextortion and other related issues. The programme will comprise practical advice and interviews regarding safer use of internet
· In the context of the “Caravane de L’espoir” programme, the Ministry of Youth and Sports in collaboration with the National Computer Board will organise awareness sessions on Secure Use of Internet on the 13th February 2017
· Awareness sessions on Internet Safety for Students and Teachers will be organised for different State & Private secondary schools in all the 4 zones of the country from March 2017
· Awareness sessions on Dangers of the Internet will be organised in Rodrigues in the month of April 2017 for secondary school students and teachers. During the same week, Information Security Trainings will also be conducted for ICT Professionals
· Awareness sessions on Online Dangers for Housewives, Parents & Senior Citizens will be carried out in Social Welfare Centres, Community Centres, Women Empowerment Centres and NCB Cyber caravans